Lithium-ion Loose Cell Warning
Please adhere to Lithium Ion Precautions
Rechargeable lithium cells without proper protection that are not installed in a device or as part of an integral battery (“loose cells”) are potentially hazardous to consumers when handled, transported, stored, charged, or used to power devices. Specifically, these battery cells may have exposed metal positive and negative terminals that can short-circuit when they come into contact with metal objects, such as keys or loose change in a pocket. Once shorted, loose cells can overheat and experience thermal runaway, igniting the cell’s internal materials and forcibly expelling burning contents, resulting in fires, explosions, serious injuries and even death.
In addition, thermal runaway can occur in loose cells if consumers use them in inappropriate chargers that allow for charging beyond the cell’s specifications. Unfortunately, a growing number of small consumer products, such as vaping devices, personal fans, headlamps, and some toys, are using loose 18650s as a power source. CPSC is working with e-commerce sites, including eBay, to remove listings selling these loose cells.
Do not use loose 18650 lithium ion cells that are separated from battery packs. They are often misused as a stand-alone consumer battery, but do not have protection circuits. For additional information on high-energy battery safety, please visit: https://www.cpsc.gov/Regulations-Laws--Standards/Voluntary-Standards/Topics/Batteries/
CPSC urges consumers to report problems with lithium-ion batteries to CPSC at: www.SaferProducts.gov.
HANDLING OF LI-ION BATTERY CELLS - RISKS AND PRECAUTIONS
- DO NOT USE WITH E-CIGARETTE, VAPORIZER, OR SIMILAR DEVICE
- MISUSING OR MISHANDLING LITHIUM ION BATTERIES CAN POSE A SERIOUS RISK OF PERSONAL INJURY, PROPERTY DAMAGE, OR DEATH
- BATTERIES MAY EXPLODE, BURN, OR CAUSE A FIRE IF MISUSED OR MISHANDLED
- ONLY USE WITH PROPER CIRCUITRY IN A PROTECTED BATTERY PACK
- ONLY USE WITHIN MANUFACTURER LISTED SPECIFICATIONS
- DO NOT STORE LOOSE BATTERY IN A POCKET, PURSE ETC. - ALWAYS USE A PROTECTIVE CASE OR BOX
- KEEP AWAY from metal objects to prevent short circuiting
- DO NOT short circuit
- DO NOT use if wrapper or insulator is damaged or torn
- DO NOT use if damaged in any way
- DO NOT overcharge or over-discharge
- DO NOT modify, disassemble, puncture, cut, crush, or incinerate
- DO NOT expose to liquids or high temperatures
- DO NOT solder, spot weld only
- User must be familiar with handling lithium ion batteries before purchase
- Usage of batteries is AT YOUR OWN RISK
- ALWAYS charge in or on a fire-proof surface and never leave charging batteries unattended
- RESELLERS MUST FORWARD ALL WARNINGS TO ALL CUSTOMERS FOR THEIR REFERENCE AND SAFETY
VAPE / E-CIG BATTERY WARNING
Local regulations and laws pertaining to the recycling and disposal of lithium ion batteries vary so please consult your local jurisdiction regarding appropriate disposal. Many retail stores offer free recycling of rechargeable batteries.
MANUFACTURER AND BATTERY INDUSTRY WARNINGS
Samsung SDI lithium-ion battery: Samsung SDI's "Charging, Use and Handling of Small-Sized Lithium-ion Batteries".
Sony lithium ion batteries - Safety WarningPanasonic/Sanyo lithium ion batteries - Safety Precautions